Yam Porridge Recipe- AKA Asaro

by - Saturday, January 02, 2016



I'm not really a fan of yam, however my hubby loves it so much we hardly ever run out. I managed to bag a bargain at the store for half a box of Yam and as I'm not really a fan of it, I cannot let it go to waste.

I decided to make him one of his favourite yam dishes, Yam Porridge also known as Asaro in Yoruba-land.

Try out my recipe below and I'm sure you'll come back and tell me how amazeballs it turned. Have a good weekend :-)

Cooking time:- 30 to 40 minutes

Ingredients:-

Yam tuber cut into squares for convenience
1 red bell pepper
1 red onion
1 scotch bonnet
1 tin of plum tomatoes or fresh tomatoes if preferred
half a teaspoon of dried thyme
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of all purpose seasoning
2 stock cubes
4 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil
5 tablespoons of palm oil
3 pieces of smoked turkey
2 pieces of Mackerel fish


Method:-

Heat the vegetable oil and palm oil in a saucepan on low to medium heat for about 10 minutes; whilst that heating up, blend the tomatoes, pepper, onions & scotch bonnet together until fine. Once done, add into the oil mix and stir






Now add all the seasonings and leave to fry for about minutes on low to medium heat; or until the oil residue is visible at the surface of the stew.






Now add the cleaned yam







Leave to cook for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes the yam will begin to get soft; depending on your preference you can either mash the yam at this stage or leave it if you prefer.

I mashed mine a bit and left some chunky yam bits.

I decided to add some smoked turkey and Mackerel slices.



I chopped them into bite size pieces.

Now add them into the Yam Porridge and leave to cook for few minutes




Stir



Voila, all done nice and easy.




You May Also Like

0 comments